vrijdag 9 oktober 2009

How to install a printer on your Aspire One

I decided it's useful to install a printer after I wanted to print an e-mail. I have a network printer so it should be easy.

On the site of www.linuxprinting.org there are a lot of install guides and drivers.

My Linpus installation already had the 'cups' installed. Probably by default. Cups is the
printing system that's being used. I downloaded the ppd driver I needed.

I just opened the cups configuration website in a browser. The url is http://localhost:631/admin. I added a new printer with the Internet Printing Protocol (ipp), which my printer supports. It seems like a lot of modern printers are supported by cups. I had to provide the downloaded .ppd file though, because my printer wasn't.

After logging in as root on the install webpage, there's an option to set printer options, like paper size and double sided printing. After that, go to the tmenu item 'Printers' to test the installation with 'Print Test Page'. Mine worked fine!

So it's actually quite easy. Cups is already installed, and if you don't have an exotic printer, you shouldn't even have to look on the internet for drivers, and just follow the directions on http://localhost:631/admin

1 opmerking:

  1. It can be install on the following ways :
    1. Run Live Update
    2. Make a USB recovery disk
    3. Enable the Advanced Menu
    4. Install The Gimp
    5. Install Skype
    6. Add Desktop Icons
    7. Install VLC
    8. Mount your NAS box

    proteinpulver

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen