donderdag 28 januari 2010

Bluetooth on the Acer Aspire One 110 (Linpus)

I bought a small and cheap mini Bluetooth usb adapter by Konig for my desktop pc. I thought it would be fun -since it lacks a functional use- to use Bluetooth on my Aspire One also.

On the internet there aren't a lot of tutorials for Bluetooth on the AAO. A good one to solder a permanent one inside is over here. I don't think I will be doing this, because opening the netbook was a bit tricky. I used the tutorial to increase my memory by 1GB. But if you really like the Bluetooth option, you might want to use this tutorial. Another tutorial, which I'll imitate, is over here. It almost does exactly what I want.

I inserted the bluetooth adapter in an empty usb slot. Running the lsusb command will result in (amongst others):
ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
It seems like my dongle uses a CSR chipset.

Ok, let's install the software we'll need.

$ sudo yum install bluez-gnome bluez-hcidump bluez-libs bluez-utils gnome-bluetooth


Now, we need to install new kernel modules. For more information on kernel modules look in wikipedia and of course the original blog.

$ cd /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net/
$ sudo wget http://arcadia.anime.fi/~n/aspireone/bluetooth.tgz
$ sudo tar -zxvf bluetooth.tgz
$ cd /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/
$ sudo wget http://arcadia.anime.fi/~n/aspireone/bluetooth2.tgz
$ sudo tar -zxvf bluetooth2.tgz

We extracted the bluetooth.tgz in the directory /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net/bluetooth/, which it created.
Bluetooth2.tgz is extracted to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/

Now, we have to run depmod, which handles dependency descriptions for loadable kernel modules. Then we can run the module.

$ sudo depmod
$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start


Well, now should everything be installed and able to work. I had to restart my AA1 to load the kernel modules, though. First, load the kernel module by hand. From the bluez-package, we have a program called bluetooth-applet (in /usr/bin), which uses /usr/bin/bluetooth-properties.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
$ bluetooth-applet

In another console, I started to try to connect with my phone. First, I determined it's address, with hcitool. Then, I edited the config file rfcomm.conf, after that I tried to connect.

$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:15:B9:90:43:50 SAMSUNG SGH-D600E

Very nice, I found my phone.
Then I edited $ sudo vim /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf with my properties.

rfcomm0 {
bind no;
device 00:15:B9:90:43:50;
channel 1;
comment "Samsung Phone";
}

Then I connected:

$ rfcomm bind rfcomm0


In my phone, I went to the bluetooth detect page and could find the AA1. And I could connect to it as a serial port!
Well, I did have fun installing the bluetooth. Now, I hope I could find a use for the bluetooth, and it would be even better.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten